Friday, March 07, 2008

The Home Stretch!

Well I know I owe you two batches of pictures, but hopefully the maternity portraits and 4D ultrasound will do for now ; ) I still look the same...just pooching further out by the day!

Everything is still going great. I'm pretty sure we've decided on a name (or at least Patrick is sure), but nope, not telling ; ) We saw Dr. Kirshon (our high risk ob) this week, and he was still pleased with all of the progress. She was weighing in at 4lbs 10oz, so she looks to be on target to be an average baby (for 2 weeks early). We'll be seeing him weekly now. I also saw Dr. Swaim yesterday, and she did my Group B Strep test and said that my cervix still looked great, too.

The biggest issue...this stubborn child is STILL BREECH! Obviously, we'll be keeping an eye on her to see if she turns (and I've started propping my hips up on pillows nightly to encourage her to turn...nada so far), but if not, we've got a decision to make. Here's our timeline for the coming weeks.

* Week 34 (this week)- well I just told you what we did this week : )
* Week 35 (next week)- we see Dr. Kirshon for another u/s to check her growth and see if she flipped.
* Week 36- I see Dr. Kirshon and Dr. Swaim. Dr. Swaim will cut my cerclage, I switch to twice daily heparin (a 12 hr dosage instead of my 24 hr Lovenox), and we'll decide about trying to turn her if she's still breech.
* Week 37- If she's still breech, we have enough fluid, and she's growing well, then we'll try to turn her using external cephalic version...yes, the name (and description from Dr. Swaim) scared me, too. I'm all for trying it, but Patrick has some serious reservations, so we'll definitely have to discuss it soon.
* Week 38- Induction or C-section! Probably on April 1st or 2nd if all goes well.

If at any time her growth slows too much or my fluid level drops, then they will induce/operate immediately. Also, if I go into labor on my own (which could happen once they remove the stitch or when they try to turn her), then they will help me out with pitocin or perform a C-section if she's still breech.

We're really in the countdown now! I can't believe it...she's really coming!!

7 comments:

Plant Girl said...

Delurking to say that I had a successful version and I'd highly recommend it. Our procedure was quick (in and out of the hospital in about an hour) and relatively pain free. I would do it again in an instant.

Goodluck! Hopefully baby will turn and it won't even be an issue.

wirrek said...

Wow, I just can't believe she is almost here!

Me said...

Very Exciting.

Cari said...

I'm so excited for you Moon, you are so close! (Vendie here) I just wanted to let you know that my first was breech at 34 weeks and turned before 36 weeks, and the baby I'm carrying now was also breech until a few weeks ago (I'm 37 weeks). I would recommend trying some (or all) of the suggestions you can find online for turning a breech baby before your 36 week appointment. What worked for me was a combination of yoga cat cow stretches and visualization. Basically, I visualized the baby flipping over and turning head down all day every day. Good luck, you'll have your baby soon regardless of how she is positioned!

Nurse Lochia said...

If she stays breech, you should try for the version. It sounds really scary, but every patient I've seen have it done says it wasn't too bad. If it doesn't work, you no worse off for trying. Or maybe she'll turn on her own. Mine did the day of my scheduled c-section!

adbwifey0804 said...

Moon!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!! WOW LOOK AT YOU!!! YOu look beautiful!! And Patrick's a handsome guy ;)...

I can't believe time has gone by THIS fast!!! It's crazy! I can't wait to see your little one...

Soo sooo soo happy for you!! :)


adbwifey0804

Emilie said...

There are some really good books out there about having c-sections. Read them. I had a c-section after laboring for 4 days and a second one that was scheduled. Guess which one sucked more?
I only say this, as 50% of inductions end in C-sections. Don't linger with an induction. If you don't progress quickly - in about 12 hours or so - pull the plug when they offer.
Also, should you have a C, keep rolling from side to side in the bed that first day of recovery. The most painful part is the air that is trapped inside you and settles in shoulder or under a collarbone. The rocking chair helps... Keep that bubble moving till your body can dispose of it.
I hope you so don't need this advice...
Good luck