Friday, March 28, 2008

The Final Countdown

You're singing the song now aren't you...

OK, this is it, we're in the last days. I am set to check in to the hospital on Monday night. I'm supposed to call L&D at 5pm, and they'll tell me when to come in. I'm classified as an "A induction", so I'm first in line. There are also "B" and "C" inductions, and those are for things like large babies, past due, convenience inductions, etc. Finally, all of my problems come with a perk..."A" inductions are viewed as medical emergencies, so they pretty much never tell you to wait another day, but they may say come in at 7pm or 8pm or something. I think I'd rather come in at 7pm because I don't want to deal with the nursing shift change, but we'll see. I can have a light lunch at 11am on Monday, then after that just clear liquids. I'm going to be freaking starving!

Anyway, so Monday night, they'll do the cervical ripening, meaning they'll place Cervadil and see if it gets my cervix going overnight. Tuesday morning, they'll start the pitocin and away we go! If for some reason the pitocin doesn't work on Tuesday, then they'll consider stopping the induction, giving me some heparin (I take my last dose Monday morning), letting me eat, and then trying again Wednesday. We should have a baby by Wednesday at the latest though....can you believe it?

My appt with Dr. Swaim went great yesterday. This little one is still head down like a good girl! My cervix is soft now, but not open at all (which is why we're doing the ripening). Dr. Swaim's practice shares call across like 7-8 doctors so you never know who you'll get for a delivery. But she said she really didn't want to miss this one so while we've scheduled the induction next week with the greatest likelihood that she'll be there, she also said to have the dr. on call page her if I go into labor on my own this weekend : ) We were all so giddy yesterday, it was just hilarious.

When the nurses were calling in my induction to the hospital, I had a moment that I think I'll always remember. She was giving them all my info, and I heard the particular statistic that I've heard so much (and that I've heard change over the years)...."She's a gravida 5, para 0"....that means, she's been pregnant 5 times (the twins count as one pregnancy) but has no living children. People look at you differently when they see/hear that stat...even nurses who have probably seen it all. The nurse on the other end of the line must have said something about it because my nurse said "Oh I know, we're all very excited." After next week, that statistic will change forever. All of the pain associated with those few words will all of a sudden have been worth it.

Patrick continues to be completely ready and totally in control. I, on the other hand, am starting to freak out. I was freaking out as soon as we set the date in the office. I just cannot believe that it's here. THREE days and we'll start this process. Mind you, I have all the normal fears: not knowing what to expect, will she be okay, will I be okay, etc. But mostly, I'm just overwhelmed with emotion that we made it. All of us made it...and we're so ready to start our new life as a family.

I don't think I'll get a chance to update again until she's here...three days until we head to the hospital...~ 80 hours...not that I'm counting.

13 comments:

tmd said...

Okay, after over a year of lurking, I have to comment. Thanks for keeping us updated. When I read the stats, I broke out into the ugly cry for a second. I can just remember crying such tears of joy when I finally had my baby girl, and she was okay. There is no greater feeling. So excited for you. Have Patrick post some pics if he is bored in the hospital. Love the nursery!

~*~DawnSC~*~ said...

Thank you for sharing this journey with us.

I'm so excited for you and can't wait to meet your little girl!

Gemini Girl said...

So happy for you! it is the most beautiful experience you will ever go through. I pray you and your daughter will have an easy delivery. Please keep us posted!

Gemini Girl said...

vbebboyBTW- If you need any advice- I am here (I am the mother to twin girls who are 4.5 months old.

KRISTI said...

I'm so excited! Enjoy your last weekend as 2!

Kristen said...

I'm sending you lots of ELV's and I can't wait for an update. XOXO

Tina / Anxious Changer said...

Best of luck!!! I am so excited for you too!!! The statistic change will be one of the greater number of good things to happen in the next week. :)

Please let me know if you have any questions about the induction - sounds like they are inducing the same way I was. Sure hope you are in a private room for the first stage...I was not, and I wanted to rip the hospital a new one for that by 2 am! ;) No hubby to help me...and a hyperventilating woman in the bed next to me!

Hope you are taking one last belly pic on induction day!

Cari said...

I'm so excited for you, just sitting here crying about your journey and it's soon to be happy ending/beginning. Can't wait to say congratulations on your baby girl!
-vendie

Polly Gamwich said...

So incredibly happy for you and proud of you. I can't wait to meet your beautiful baby!

Emilie said...

Where's the baby!?!?! Don't forget we all want a recap and PICTURES!!! Can you blog from the DR?
HUGS and SUCH LOVE! I am happy for the three of you!
Best wishes and a long life!

Kirsten said...

I am so excited to hear the news!!! Hope you guys are doing great!!!!

KP said...

after several months of lurking I just wanted to say that I hope everything went well with the delivery...will be checking back to see how things are!

Knotty Notions said...

Moon - I've been looking for you for months, trying to see if you made it with this pregnancy. I'm am so unbelievably happy for you.
Someone on FF knew this blog and directed me here. I was mypicklepuss on FF and we had similar "That girl" stories. I now have a 6 month old son and soon you will have your miracle baby.
I just wanted to send you congratulations and tons of love.
You deserve it all.