Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Stitch is Out!

Well the cerclage is out. It was fairly uneventful. Patrick tried to scare me about it, but I wasn't scared...much.

Anyway, turns out we were there early, so Patrick went up to Dr. Mac's office while I was in the bathroom. Terri apparently got a little worried when she saw him, but they were excited to know I was around. I just wanted him to make sure there weren't tons of patients in the waiting room, and they said nope, just one in with Dr. Mac and everyone was in today. So Patrick came and got me one floor down and I went to visit for a little while. Everyone was really excited to see us, told me how good I looked pregnant, Patrick made his usual fat jokes. It was really cool to see everyone. Dr. Mac was just so excited, and he asked us if we really thought it would ever happen. Patrick told him how he constantly thinks about what if we'd given up. Dr. Mac knew how down we were many times, but he was so complimentary of us for persevering. Of course, they all start talking about the cerclage removal, and everyone says it hurts. Terri reminded them all of how tough I am though : ) Anyway, it was great to see them, and we promised to come back by with the baby once she's here.

Then on to Dr. Swaim's. The cerclage removal really wasn't all that bad. Dr. Swaim of course asked Patrick if he wanted to see...nothing like your husband staring down your vagina while you're trying not to panic about the impending pain. The speculum was actually the most uncomfortable part because I guess she had to use a longer one than normal, and well...that whole general area has been "out of order" for many months now. She had to get in far enough and wide enough to see the stitch...and then of course, it took a bit to get a hold of the knot on the stitch. Patrick actually had to hold the light for her so she could see...it was hilarious. Anyway, it finally came out, and it really wasn't that pad. It felt a little awkward and weird, but not a lot of pain. Apparently there was a nice amount of blood though and Patrick seemed concerned by this...he's so cute about those things. Anyway, it's out! I've been having a couple of little cramps/contractions since, but nothing major.

So the plan now (if nothing happens sooner...the nurses were joking about me having the baby tonight!) is to see De. Kirshon on Monday for another ultrasound. If she's still breech (Dr. Swaim said she's more transverse which will make turning her easier), then we'll be doing the version a week from today...lots going on!!!

So we'll see. We're definitely in the final countdown here, and I'm increasingly nervous. This is really happening...I swear I haven't accepted that fact yet..and I might not until they actually hand her to me. Patrick of course is completely ready, and he said he thinks one of the reasons is that he's always worried about her. He worries about every ultrasound, every test. We joked that we'd feel much better when we could just look at her and say "You ok?" I think we're just ready for the end of this journey...and the start of a new one.

6 comments:

Plant Girl said...

If you do end up needing the version, pick a point on the ceiling to concentrate on and use your breathing techniques to get through it. Mine wasn't any more painful than contractions. Goodluck!

Me said...

I can not EVEN fathom my husband holding the light for the doctor to be able to see into my who-ha! How funny!

Emilie said...

Bravo, Bravo, my brave little Lunar!
When I first took my girl home, I always thought someone would come in and say, "OK,you've had your fun. Time to give her back now..."
It never happened! I got to keep her! She was the child of my loins after so much waiting.
I will say, and it has served us very well, my husband and I agreed that neither one of us could completely lose our rutabagas at the same time. Who ever fell apart first got to keep it. The other has to pull it together (for the sake of the kid) like it or not.
It works. I get blood, he gets tears usually. It keeps things fair.

wirrek said...

So, go DO IT already!! Patrick, Patrick, Patrick...

Kirsten said...

That is so great that you got to see Dr. Mac and the crew. I have wanted to take the girls by his office SOOOO bad but I don't want to risk upsetting any of his patients.
It is crazy how fast time has flown by. I can't believe your little girl is almost here!!! I am anxious & excited for you!!!

Tina / Anxious Changer said...

So glad everything has gone so well... Here's to baby moving in the right position - and a healthy and safe arrival very soon.

There is a lot to do...but it is an amazing time. Enjoy it as much as you can!