Monday, May 12, 2008

Backtracking- My last pregnant day

So let me take you back to Monday, March 31st. I spent the day trying to relax, went to get a pedicure/manicure, paid a visit to Starbucks, took the longest shower ever, and then waited for my parents to arrive. I was supposed to call Labor & Delivery at 5pm to see what time to come in. I of course was an “A” induction, so I got first priority since it was “medically necessary”.

My parents arrived about 4pm. I called the hospital at 5pm only to be extremely frustrated to hear that they were swamped, and I should call back at 7pm. Didn’t they know I was an A induction? ; ) My parents and Patrick were tickled at my frustration of course. So we watched a movie and I finished my labor playlists for my Ipod. I called back at 7pm, and they said they still weren’t ready (I was starting to get upset). This time they said that they would call me when it was time.

I became completely convinced that they were never going to call. I resigned myself to the fact that I’d have to wait another day, and we sat around watching Dancing with the Stars (I never watch that show, but it was entertaining and distracting). Patrick on the other hand had gone from being calm to being extremely anxious…sort of turbo nesting. He was all over the place, putting batteries in everything imaginable. When he came downstairs with the swing (still in the box), we couldn’t help but laugh. As he was putting the finishing touches on the swing, the phone rang. It was time! They asked if I could be there by 9:30 (it was shortly after 8:30), and I said we’d leave right away.

I did my best to scoot everyone out of the house, while annoying them all, only to discover that neither of the cars had gas…LOL! I swear we could not get to the hospital fast enough. I was convinced that they were going to give away my room…LOL! Patrick just laughed and tried to keep me calm.

They got me settled pretty quickly because they wanted to start the ripening right away. We did the paperwork including putting my fingerprints on the birth certificate (I cried of course), started my IV, and then put in the Cervadil (boy, that wasn’t pleasant). I was settled in by 10:30. Then they came to “give me something to help me sleep” (under Dr. Swaim’s orders). They said it was Ambien. I’d had it before, so I thought that would be nice to help me relax. However, they gave me TWO Ambien. Within minutes, I started feeling something. Patrick had gone downstairs to get some dinner (no one wanted to eat in front of me since I’d only had clear liquids since noon and couldn’t eat again until after I delivered), so I was with my parents. I got TOTALLY loopy with the Ambien…apparently it was hilarious. Mom even tried to get Larkin’s name out of me, but Dad stopper her…LOL! I was highly entertaining, and the pictures of me at this time are hilarious (I’ll see if I find one to post). I was completely drunk, and when Patrick got back, my parents headed home to watch the dogs. Patrick took a little video of me in my drunken state…boy was I funny. I apparently asked him no less than 5 times what he had for dinner. I was also completely mesmerized by the monitors, so everytime the screen saver came on, I made Patrick get up and fix it (I had been having contractions randomly throughout the evening so it was fun to watch). Finally, Patrick refused to get up again because I needed to sleep : ( LOL! So off I dozed, I don’t even remember waking up during the night when they checked my blood pressure and stuff. I’ll continue tomorrow with delivery day!!!

Here are some pictures!!
This is the shirt I made for the hospital. Final pregnancy stat: 33 lbs gained





This is us right before we walked out the door to head to the hospital.

And the fingerprinting at the hospital.

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

What is it with that hospital and two Ambien?!?!? They gave me the same and...wow...feelin' good. I was by myself when they took effect but I have some great pictures from my cell phone that I took while walking around my room...pretty freaky!!!!
I love the shirt!! That is so nice that you had time to be so prepared and really get to anticipate your special day! Of course, we all anticipate THE day but I just think it's so neat that you got to capture so many great moments.
Can't wait to see more pics!

Emilie said...

YEA! I've been waiting for this! Keep them coming!
You look Fantastic!